Horse training instructor
Do you want to expand your horse riding skills and help people learn how to handle horses at the same time? Is your dream job working with horses every day? Maybe you should be looking at a career move to become a horse-riding instructor.
A horse-riding instructor is someone who teaches people of all ages how to ride a horse. An instructor can work in horse training centers or may have their own, private riding school. An instructor will teach all different levels of riders from beginner, right through to experienced riders. The method and style of teaching will depend on the ability of the person.
Your work as a horse-riding instructor can include:
- Teaching those who have no riding experience
- Helping riders or teams prepare for competitions (including show jumping, Eventing or dressage)
- Assisting in horse and riders warm up and cool down during training sessions
- Developing and implementing training programs for riders
- Observing riders to identify and correct any problems
- Assess riders working towards their qualifications
- Give feedback on skills and keeping records of rider development
- Ensuring health and safety rules and practices are followed
- Train assistant instructors
- Work in the stables
- Giving practical demonstrations – that means riding of course!
Along with wanting to work with horses and people, there are other factors that you should consider when deciding if becoming a horse-riding instructor is the right career path for you. You will need to be comfortable working outside for long periods of time, which means working in sometimes extreme conditions. As well as being comfortable with the outdoors, you will need to have a lot of patience. Working with people who may have never been on a horse before can be daunting and they may not know the first thing about horses. You will also be working with different age groups, ethnicities and backgrounds; all of which will require your patience and understanding.
Taking this all into consideration, being a horse-riding instructor can be a hugely rewarding career.
Ready to take the next step? Click here to download our PDF on the different qualifications available to teach horse riding in Australia.
Stay tuned for my next blog where I will be speaking to a horse riding instructor for insight into the industry.
Until next time,